- I loved history because my teacher told us many stories.
- I hated history because my teacher made us read out from the book.
- I hated physics because I always got all my readings wrong.
- I loved chemistry because my teacher made it easy for us to remember symbols and their valencies and how to write formulae very easily.
- I loved geography because my teacher used maps, charts and models.
- I hated maths because my teacher said that it was not enough that I was good in English.
- I loved my PT classes because my teacher encouraged my interest in swimming.
What do children want?
They definitely want to
- learn new things – facts, concepts, how to do something.
- understand why they are learning something.
- be taught in a way that they can learn.
- to learn where they are wrong and tips on how to avoid them.
- engage multiple senses and skills in learning.
- listen, see, hear, touch, read, write, practise, do, create.
- be encouraged and be accepted as they are.
Let’s keep this in mind – Children love to learn, but hate to be taught!